The Senior Composite Technician will be responsible for Quality Control and Materials Testing for both the internal and external moulding processes, reporting into the Head of Group Operations, who is based in Southampton.
Principle Job Responsibilities
To ensure composite Hulls, Decks and associated mouldings for Oyster Yachts are delivered with efficiency; in compliance with the issued drawings and the Oyster build standard.
Work with the production team so they are able to meet process times to the production target hours and budget, assurance must be made that there is no compromise on quality.
As a leader within the business you must promote our culture of Health and Safety and continuous improvement.
General Requirements of the Role
- Ensure that the facility is run to highest quality standards and applicable accredited build standards and materials - secure and maintain the Lloyds / DNV / GL etc. accreditation.
- Ensure the Moulding operations are in line with current Oyster Health, Safety and environmental policies ensuring adherence by our employees and visitors to protect their own and others safety.
- Implement an industry recognised effective and sustainable Quality system for composite manufacture
- To ensure internal and external customer requirements are delivered in line with Oyster standards and policy
- To carry out and develop composite test plans internally and also with external partners
- To produce test reports and provide management information on testing and Quality control on a regular basis.
- Inspect and review all primary mouldings at various stages to ensure the quality and adherence to the design. Sign off critical items in line with the Oyster build Manual.
- Manage and review the development of the Composites section of the Oyster Build Manual with the Oyster Quality Manager.
- To conduct root cause analysis and take preventive/corrective actions for non-conformance
- To ensure employees are well informed of quality standards and work areas & equipment are maintained as required
- Take responsibility for own training and professional development
- Highly experienced knowledge of Composites
- Have knowledge of latest H&S legislation
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills which ensure that team members can positively contribute to identifying root cause and take fast effective action to resolve the problems in hand and on future projects
- Have worked within the requirements of ISO14001 environmental standard and highlight opportunities for the business to continually improve against environmental impact
- An understanding of continuous improvement methodologies such as 5S, Lean and Kaizen
- Methodical approach to work
- High level of attention to detail
- Able to work in a high pressure and fast paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- Experience of the marine industry technology
- Robust understanding of Engineering drawings
- MSc Composite Materials
- BEng Composite Materials
- NX design software
- Autocad design
This job description is indicative of the range of current duties and responsibilities for the post, it is not comprehensive. It is inevitable that the duties will change to reflect organisational change and it is essential therefore that it is regarded with a degree of flexibility, so that changing needs and circumstances can be met. All changes will be discussed with the post holder.