Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference? Do you think outside the box and enjoy tackling challenges with colleagues alongside you?
If so, we are looking for an experienced Production Engineer who will support the production processes and lead on productivity improvements.
Full time – 40 hrs / week
The Production Engineer will be based at Saxon Wharf, Southampton and will report directly to the Head of Group Operations based at Oyster Yachts Southampton. You will assist other members of the production and design teams plus liaise with various other departments as and when required.
Responsible for implementation of production processes and procedures, leading productivity and quality improvements with project-based activities, including new product introduction and manufacturing design to reduce waste, improve quality and safety, and reduce operating costs.
- Identify manufacturing needs for new products in development
- Ensuring compliance with relevant Health and Safety policies
- Design new systems and processes and provide facilities & methods to ensure the cost effective integration of new products or for the improvement of existing ones into manufacturing operations
- Ensure all product and system requirements are taken into account from the initial product conception to the finished result
- Assist with shop floor layout designs
- Design fixtures and tooling for assembly tasks
- Generating production documentation such as assembly instructions
- Reduce variability in manufacturing by providing standard work methods and work instructions
- Ensure product and process quality meets specifications required
- Support and lead continuous improvement, problem solving and process improvement activities
- Work closely with production management to ensure schedule adherence for boats in plan.
- Work closely with Group Procurement - ensure that delivery requirements (all materials) are planned and communicated to the commodity buyer.
- Ensure that the relationships are professional and effective at all times including working together to shorten the overall delivery timescales where possible.
- To be a valued member of the Oyster Yachts team and undertake any other duties that may assist the business or the Oyster Group.
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree preferred, A Levels, ONC, City & Guilds level 3, BTec National Diploma Level 3, IVQ Technician Diploma, or equivalent NVQ level 3 qualification
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in manufacturing
- Ability to use 2D & 3D CAD software
- Ability to design processes and layouts
- Excellent communication skills with suppliers, extended team and staff
- Good computer skills such as MS word and Excel
- Qualified Lean manufacturing practitioner
- Professional accreditation with an industry related body
If you are interested in applying for this role please contact the HR department at [email protected]