Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference? Do you think outside the box and enjoy tackling challenges with colleagues alongside you?
If so, we have a great opportunity for an experienced and passionate individual to work as a Oyster Group Design Manager based at either Southampton or Wroxham.
Full time (40 hours / week)
Based at Wroxham/Southampton
Principle Job Responsibilities
- Lead the Oyster Design Team engaging them in the vision and strategy of the function. Lead
from the front in terms of engagement and time spent with the production team and on the
- Maintain a flow of design information to support production at our facilities in Wroxham,
Southampton and Ashmanhaugh.
- Prioritise the demands on the in-house design team between production support, design
updates and option designs, working in conjunction with third party designers as required .
- Evolve and value engineer the existing Oyster yacht models in partnership with the production
teams with priority on those areas which maximise production savings.
- Support the development of new Oyster models with the Sales team, Executive and Board
working with the new product development and implementation team and with any third-party
designers and naval architects.
- Be the conduit for information, feedback and support problem solving for Production.
- Work closely with the key stakeholders in Production to simplify the Oyster Design approach.
- Engage and manage the relationship with third party design partners where required.
- Provide commercial input and control over third party suppliers to the Oyster Design Team.
- Manage budgets for the Design department and for specific projects, including those requiring
third- party support or design teams.
- Review of drawings and approach to design applied by members of the team and actively
mentor the team.
- Be proactive in personal professional development in Yachts Design and Manufacturing.
- Work as a valued member of the Oyster Yachts Group as required.
The Person (Essential)
- Qualified naval architect with relevant experience in yacht design, construction and
- In depth understanding of value engineering in yacht design and manufacturing for
production across a series of yachts
- A proven history and ability in leading design on complex projects
- Able to develop and grow a team, pro-actively managing and mentoring individuals
- Strong communication and presentation skills across the different stakeholders (from
shop floor to the board)
- Able to achieve results against tight deadlines and budgets
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills
- Confident communication and networking skills
- Very high attention to detail
- Innovative thinking, problem solving and research skills
- Knowledge of design packages including NX Siemens
The Person (Desirable)
- Passionate for creative design, quality and innovation
- Ability to work under pressure
- Resilient problem solver
- Robust strategic planning and time management skills
- A great energiser and team player.
- Knowledge of sailing aboard Oyster or similar yachts
- An understanding of the requirements of a blue water cruising yacht
- Competent sailor with a passion for the sport of sailing.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please contact our HR department at [email protected]