Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference?
The Lead Structural Engineer will head up the Structural Design Discipline and report directly to the Head of Design. Their home base will be either Oyster Yachts, Saxon Wharf, Southampton or Oyster Yachts, Wroxham, Norfolk. There will be travel to other sites within the UK including Hythe, Hampshire
Main Purpose of Role
Working closely with 3rd party consultancies and Oyster Production, the role will encompass all aspects of marine GRP composite design. This includes ratification and processing of 3rd party design information and a degree of first principals composite design. Alongside design for production there will be significant interaction with Oyster Production to ensure quality and accuracy are maintained and, should it be necessary, a practical approach to remedial strategies in the case of manufacturing defects or errors.
- Establish a clear and accurate scope of supply using the contract Master Work List and guided by the Client Project Manager.
- Provide a focal point for composite design and production support across the company
- Prepare 3D models and 2D drawings for Oyster Production (AutoCAD & Siemens NX)
- Adhere to ISO 12215/ Lloyds SSC/ DNV HSLC design requirements
- Review external survey reports and compile list of actions based on Surveyor recommendations
- Perform in-house surveys, prepare reports and design repair strategies were required
- Design material test samples, commission testing and prepare test result reports as required
- Develop and optimize manufacturing strategies in collaboration with Oyster Production, QA and Metrology Departments.
- Continuous design improvement (value engineering), design for production efficiency, cost and weight reduction.
- Manage departmental workload, manage deadlines and input into KPIs on a weekly basis.
- Mentor and manage 1 to 2 Junior Designers within the team
- Attend production and project meetings as required to stay abreast of contract variations and production feedback.
- Manage design aspects of relevant external supply chain in conjunction with Procurement and Project Managers.
Knowledge Skills Experience
- Degree qualified with 5-10 years’ marine composite design experience
- Either from a consultancy or boatyard background but must be strongly orientated towards yacht production.
- Familiar with polyester, vinylester and epoxy composite construction materials and techniques
- Knowledge of infusion an advantage
- Computer literacy/aptitude using software such as:
- Siemens NX
- Microsoft Office in particular Outlook, Excel and Word
- Able to perform hand calculations with an understanding of FEA
- Good product and supplier knowledge and experience of supplier management
- A sound understanding of yacht systems including knowledge of component location and installation requirements where relevant to composite design
- Good timekeeping.
- Honesty and integrity.
- High attention to detail.
- Professional and respectful approach, internally and externally.
- Positive, helpful and consistent.
- Willing to travel for business, if required
This job description is indicative of the range of current duties and responsibilities for the post, it is not comprehensive. It is inevitable that the duties will change to reflect organisational change and it is essential therefore that it is regarded with a degree of flexibility, so that changing needs and circumstances can be met. All changes will be discussed with the post holder.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please contact the HR team at [email protected]teryachts.com