Oyster Yachts - Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk
Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference?
The Composite Technical Lead will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the composite production team, Health and Safety, Quality Control, and Production area, reporting into the Site Head of Production.
Principle Job Responsibilities
To ensure composite Hulls, Decks and associated mouldings for Oyster Yachts are delivered on time, to schedule and to specification in compliance with issued drawings, Oyster build standards and any classification requirements.
Manage the production team so they are able to meet process times, production target hours and overall budget expectation with no compromise on quality. As a leader within the business, you must promote our culture of Health and Safety and Continuous Improvement.
General Requirements of the Role
• Lead on Health, Safety and Environmental compliance, managing the team on a day-to-day basis to sustain correct policy and procedures
• Ensure that the facility is run to highest quality standards, using applicable accredited build standards and materials - maintaining Lloyds & DNV/GL accreditation at all times
• Ensure Moulding operations are in line with current Oyster Health, Safety and Environmental policies, ensuring adherence by our employees and visitors to protect their own and others’ safety
• Implement an industry recognised effective and sustainable Quality system for composite manufacture
• Ensure internal and external customer requirements are delivered in line with Oyster standards and policy
• Carry out and develop composite test plans internally and with external partners
• Produce test reports and provide management information on testing and Quality Control on a regular basis
• Inspect and review all primary mouldings & associated structure at various stages, ensuring quality and adherence to the design. Sign off critical items in line with the Oyster build Manual
• Manage and review the development of the Composites section of the Oyster Build Manual in conjunction with the Oyster Quality Manager
• Conduct root cause analysis and take preventive/corrective actions for non-conformance
• Ensure employees are well informed of quality standards and work areas & equipment are maintained as required
• Highly experienced, with robust and practical knowledge of Composites in both wet laminations and infusion
• Experienced at managing a team of people
• Experience of implementation of production lines, as well as management of production lines
• Current knowledge of latest H&S legislation
• Problem solving and troubleshooting skills which ensure team members can positively contribute to identifying the root cause of any problems, and take fast, effective corrective action to resolve for future projects
• Worked within the requirements of ISO14001 environmental standard (able to highlight opportunities for the business to continually improve against environmental impact)
• An understanding of continuous improvement methodologies such as 5S, Lean Manufacturing
• Methodical approach to work
• High level of attention to detail
• Able to work to schedule within a fast-paced environment
• Strong communication skills
• Experience of marine industry technology
• Robust understanding of Engineering drawings
• MSc Composite Materials
• BEng Composite Materials
• Experience of infusion technology
• NX design software
• AutoCAD design
This job description is indicative of the range of current duties and responsibilities for the post, it is not comprehensive. It is inevitable that the duties will change to reflect organisational change and it is essential therefore that it is regarded with a degree of flexibility, so that changing needs and circumstances can be met. All changes will be discussed with the post holder.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please contact the HR team at [email protected]
Be the first to hear about new launches, exclusive events and all things Oyster.