Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference? Do you think outside the box and enjoy tackling challenges with colleagues alongside you?
If so, we are looking for a Commissioning Assistant who will support the Commissioning team to complete the final preparation and testing of Oyster Yachts.
Full time – 40 hrs / week
The Commissioning Assistant will be based at Ipswich, reporting directly to the Commissioning Manager (CM).
- Working to pre-agreed targets and schedules set by the Commissioning Manager & your Senior Commissioner (SC) in undertaking the commissioning, rigging & launching of Oyster Yachts. This includes the occasional need to work at heights aloft, up a mast. Training will be provided and Oyster’s Safe Systems of Work must be adhered to at all times.
- Test and prepare new yachts, under the direction of your Senior Commissioner, the Commissioning Manager & Project Manager responsible, ready to hand them over to their owner.
- Carry out Builders’ Trials and assist in Client Handover Trials.
- Assist your Senior Commissioner and the Commissioning Manager in improving Quality Control.
- Report on problems that appear to be repetitive and draw attention to areas of poor finishing or design, where improvements could be made.
- Check on quality and specification to ensure the end product is presented to the client with minimal warranty faults or defects. The target always is “zero defects at handover”.
- Provide liaison through your Senior Commissioner & the Commissioning Manager with Oyster clients, Fox’s, Oyster Build yards & Suppliers during commissioning and handover. Maintain Oyster’s good reputation.
- Assist with the set-up and breakdown of Boat shows, both in the UK and abroad, including occasional delivery passages with showboats to their destinations. This may on occasion involve working anti-social hours, e.g. over parts of the Christmas & New Year holiday period.
- Assist the Aftersales & Warranty Manager with Aftersales or Warranty work where required, including overseas trips for vessels abroad.
- Assist clients with their initial delivery passages, by prior arrangement with the Commissioning Manager and the respective Project Manager.
- Assist the Commissioning Manager and your Senior Commissioner in keeping control of Oyster store sheds and Commissioning Department office’s external to the main office building and the storage therein of both Oyster’s and Owner’s equipment prior to handover.
- Maintain Oyster’s good image with all client contact, including advice, handover, warranty and after-sales, both during business & social activities. This also requires maintaining a sensible dress code.
- Assist with the day-to-day maintenance, cleaning & valeting of Oyster-owned yachts and Clients yachts at Ipswich, when they remain under the general Oyster “umbrella” of care. This work will sometimes involve some dirty tasks to be carried out in inclement weather conditions.
- Work under the company’s Health and Safety rules & regulations, respecting the Company policy in aiming for a very high standard.
- Strive always to exceed an Oyster client’s expectations, with integrity.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in a team
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Time oriented individual with exceptional attention to detail
- Sailing Experience
- Willing to work away from time to time
- Knowledge of marine industry
- Understanding of Oyster Yachts
- RYA/MCA sailing qualifications
If you are interested in applying for this role please contact the HR department at [email protected]