Built on the foundation of over 20 million blue-water sailing miles and 75 circumnavigations, we pride ourselves on putting people first. As a growing business, we enable our employees to take ownership of their work and to be the best at what they do. Are you passionate about taking responsibility and having the ability to make a difference? Do you think outside the box and enjoy tackling challenges with colleagues alongside you?
If so, we are looking for a Commissioning Skipper who will support the Commissioning team to complete the final preparation and testing of Oyster Yachts.
COMMISSIONING SKIPPER - Commissioning Department, Oyster Yachts Ipswich
Full time – 40 hrs / week
The Commissioning Skipper will be based at Ipswich, reporting directly to the Commissioning Manager.
PRINCIPAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Testing, commissioning and handover of new Oyster yachts from 565’ to 885’.
Skippering and crewing Oyster yachts for local movements, sea trials, handover sails and offshore deliveries. Full responsibility for safety of yacht and crew at all times when acting as Skipper.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE ROLE
- Manage the team on board during commissioning, including Oyster commissioning and production staff, third party suppliers and sub-contractors.
- In addition to taking direct responsibility for commissioning specific vessels, be able to oversee other vessels in commissioning, assisting other commissioning staff with planning work and resources, providing advice and assisting with boat handling.
- Perform all sea trials competently and efficiently, ensuring that objectives of each trial are met and that each yacht is fully tested in accordance with Oyster commissioning standards. Maintain complete and accurate records in the Commissioning Log.
- Skipper Oyster yachts in a variety of circumstances including local movements, sea trials, handover sails and offshore deliveries. Maintain the highest standards of safety, seamanship and boat handling. End-to-end responsibility including passage planning, provisioning, briefings, safety on board, record keeping, maintenance, cleaning, handover at destination.
- Ensure that Oyster Yachts’ Safety Management Systems are followed at all times, including maintaining records and providing feedback for continuous improvement.
- Deliveries to or from boat shows/ private views may include assisting with set-up and break down of shows. This may include anti-social hours during Christmas and New Year periods.
- Troubleshooting of sailing and technical systems. Resolving issues hands on, as well as assisting Oyster specialist staff and sub-contractors.
- Oversee and assist with receiving, checking, dressing and stepping of mast, boom and rigging. Assist with fitting of sails. Undertake basic rigging tasks, rig checks and maintenance.
- When required, act as crew for yachts with a different appointed Skipper.
- Able to work to pre-agreed targets, including ability to work under pressure and to tight schedules. Able to manage time and prioritise tasks for self and for small team.
- Must be flexible in approach to working hours. Early mornings, late evenings and weekend working are required on occasion, as dictated by tides, weather and deadlines.
- Be presentable and approachable at all times. Liaise with all stakeholders including high-net-worth Owners and their professional crew, as well as Oyster staff, contractors and suppliers. Maintain clear communications and high professional standards.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness in all areas of maintenance, cleaning and valeting.
- Ensure that commissioning stores are kept clean, organised and well stocked, that accurate records of goods in and out are maintained and that equipment is stored safely and securely at all times.
- Feedback on faults and quality issues to the Commissioning manager.
- Assist with warranty work when required, which may include overseas travel.
- Provide detailed technical and sailing familiarisation training to owners, skippers and crew.
- When required, assist owner and crew with initial delivery passage after handover.
- Assist as required at boat shows, regattas and events.
- Be hard working, truthful and conscientious at all times.
- Maintain Oyster’s good image with all client contact, advice, handover, warranty and after-sales, both during business and social activities.
- Be a valued member of the Oyster Yachts team and to undertake any other duties that may assist the Oyster Group.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive sailing and skippering experience, including on yachts of ~24m.
- Experience of sailing in tidal waters and on long offshore passages.
- Strong boat handling skills.
- Good knowledge of engineering, electrical, technical and electronics systems on modern sailing yachts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office software.
- Fit, active and in good health.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATION
- Yachtmaster Offshore Sail with commercial endorsement
- STCW95 Basic Safety Training, courses taken or revalidated within last five years
- ENG1 Medical Fitness Certificate
- UK Driving License
- UK Passport, or right to work in the UK